Thursday, May 26, 2016

Remembering Windstar

Memorial Day weekend fast approaches in the US and with that comes the fond memory of attending the Windstar Foundation Volunteer Work Weekend at Snowmass in Colorado. The Windstar Foundation, originally founded by John Denver and Tom Crum, has now folded, but the Land Conservancy still remains, pristine land in the Rocky Mountains.
That weekend in 2010 was a treat for me, to celebrate my 60th birthday, the equivalent of a once-in-a-lifetime holiday, and an adventure. It was a chance to be in that incredible part of the world, even though I live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada, between the Cascades and Rocky Mountains.
I met wonderful people from across the US and from the UK. I met: Allison Smith, Blaine Deeming, Dawn Wright, Dreux De Mack, Jeanie Marie, Joy Wyse, Karmen Dopslaff, Ken and Karen, Linda Edmonson, Shari Sullivan and Tom Chatch. (I may have missed someone... Karen... and the children...)


This picture is of most of the volunteer working team wearing those fantastic shirts (I'm wearing mine today) taken at the John Denver Sanctuary in Aspen, at our picnic.

It was a weekend I will never forget - camping out at night as the temperature dipped right down; hiking up to the meditation platform above the John Denver Meadowlands at 5:30 a.m. to get warm and being nudged, like a tap on my shoulder, to turn around and take a picture just as the sun came up over the mountain ridge.
We worked weeding, re-soiling the greenhouse, planting, cleaning up the Windstar section of the local highway, and whatever needed doing. And we ate great food, went for an incredible hike through the Meadowlands, among the wildflowers. and just enjoyed being there. The scenery was stunning.

I extend my gratitude to all those I met, especially to Shari and Dreux who did so much of the organizing, along with Linda Edmonson, and to all the great folks who opened their hearts and were part of an amazing working team.

And to show that the Windstar effect continues, here is the YouTube video of Earth Day 2016 at Okanagan Falls Elementary School, here in Canada. We created a whole school story, some verses for a song, a drawing mural, and a mural with Dreams, Hopes and Wishes for Planet Earth. All grades were involved, from Kindergarten to Grade 7. It was amazing.

 
 
Thank you all... and thank you JD... for your legacy...
I'm smiling... such great memories... and such incredible photos to review...
 
 

No comments: